1. We got the concrete pads poured last Tuesday on the three main ranges – the 50 Yard Pistol Range and both the 100 Yard and the 300 Yard Rifle Ranges. The forms have been removed from the concrete but that leaves a “do it on your own schedule work project”. Rather than have a specific work day, we are asking that about a half dozen people individually help us by gathering the forms and stack them there on the range where we can then store those forms to use at a later date on our next concrete project. If you can do this please give me a call and I can tell you what you need to do and what if any tools you will need. We had two members do a segment this afternoon and they were through in reasonably short order and with the weather pretty pleasant this is not a lot of work for even a single person.
2. We hope to get started on the pavilions over the pads we just poured within the next week or two. We will most likely build the cover over the 300 Yard Rifle range first and that will give us a good measure for the time, effort and cost to do the other two. Somewhere in the course of that phase we need to plant grass on the ranges; there’s no hard date set on this but the time and weather is right to go ahead with that soon.
3. I sent an e-mail out last week about the gate combination changing because of some issues that needed resolving. Problem was solved, so gate combination is back to what it was. However, that combination is ONLY on our main gate – which is the gate we had at Moundville and is the gate closest to the cell tower on that side of the road. Any problems, call me (205-886-7165). The gate by the 300 Yard Rifle Range is a service gate that we will not typically use. Everyone using the ranges is responsible for insuring the ranges are always secure so when entering and leaving, lock the gate behind you!
4. Expect to see the old mailbox we had at Moundville reappear close to our main gate where we should all sign in and out when we come to shoot. I don’t have a hard date on this so when you see it, stop and put your name in the book.
5. To those of you (and me included) who have had a clock on the legal side of the transition to our new club, we have changed our attorney on this and expect to wrap all of that up within the next 2-3 weeks. This will give us a target date of 13 June to have a Business Meeting at the Ranges at 11:00 AM, so please plan to attend and hopefully nothing will come up to change this date. The monthly CMP .22 Sporter Match is scheduled for 9:00 AM and will finish by 10:00 and just be an extra game to play that day. Anyone wanting to shoot after the meeting has a thumbs up.
6. We NEED … plastic coated corrugated signboard like they use on political signs or real estate yard signs – big as we can find – 4’x8′ would be perfect. Seems like the sheets we bought cost $75-80 each (4×8′) so any of these we can locate for free or some eco-salvage price is the way we need to go. Ask around and see if you can locate any and we’ll take all we can get, if the price is right.
7. Need Firewood? My logger got down to the end of his timber work and had about a half of a truck load of hardwood that he couldn’t deliver to the mill, so it’s still on a loading deck on the property. It looks like it’s mostly 12″ Oak logs in a stack and has been drying for about 3 months so it should split fairly easily. This wood is very easy and safe to access where all you need to do is back up to the stack, cut it into lengths and load it up. It’s right where we will build our Trap & Skeet Range and access the Dove Field so I need to get this gone or will have to pay my bulldozer man to push it over onto the scrap pile to either burn or cover over. It’s free, call me if you’re interested.
To all of you – Thanks again!